[systemd-devel] c/c++ lib for dbus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 22 09:58:15 PDT 2015

On Mon, 20.07.15 17:09, Pradeepa Kumar (cdpradeepa at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi
> I need to use functions to call method, get property value etc from
> dbus.

See http://0pointer.net/blog/the-new-sd-bus-api-of-systemd.html and
have a look at the sd-bus.h header file:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/systemd/sd-bus.h

To read properties we have the sd_bus_get_property() and related
convencience functions. There's currently no nice documentation
available for them, hence consult the sources of systemd for details.

> also few utility functions like unit_name_from_dbus_path() from
> systemd.

This is an internal function of systemd, and is not part of any
API. It should not be used in external programs.

> Can i use systemd as lib ? If yes how , where can I see examples?
> is there any lib for that in c /c++?

The systemd D-Bus API "sd-bus.h" is a public API now, see the blog
story linked above. Along with some other APIs it is exported by
libsystemd.so. However, calls like unit_name_from_dbus_path() are not
part of that library and not accessible externally.