[systemd-devel] Completion of error handling

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 24 06:10:48 PDT 2015

> We are regularly checking the systemd sources with coverity and the
> llvm/clang analyzer.

I hope that I may look also into a corresponding web interface.
https://scan.coverity.com/projects/350

I found a few update candidates by a web search.

An analysis script can point more source code places out for
further considerations.
Would you like to care for corresponding open issues?

>> I wonder also about the status of some function implementations
>> which return zero (or NULL) but no other value.
>
> So, what precisely are you wondering about?

How do you think about to look at places once more which can be found
with a small script like the following with the help of the semantic
patch language (and the Coccinelle software)?

@show_zero_returning_functions@
expression express;
identifier work;
type return_type;
@@
*return_type work(...)
 {
  <+...
(
  return
* express
  ;
  return
(
* 0

* NULL
)
  ;

  return
(
* 0

* NULL
)
  ;
)
  ...+>
 }

Will such function implementations ever return also an error code?

> Also, on github, you keep posting stuff that looks like you
> are a bot.

I admit that I dare to repeat some feature requests and bug reports.

I hope that we can avoid further captcha games for a constructive
discussion on software development issues.

I contributed a bit to free software. I assume that you might find a few
of these improvements a bit useful, don't you?

Regards,
Markus