[systemd-devel] Creation of additional links for selected devices

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:11:47 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM, SF Markus Elfring <
elfring at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to clarify the combination of commands like
> "udevadm control -p" and "udevadm trigger" a bit more.

Hmm, I'm not sure when `control -p` could ever be useful...

> How do device properties differ from attributes in this
> use case?

Properties (sometimes called environment) are held in udev's database; they
can be set via ENV{} or imported from helpers (e.g. hwdb, blkid...).

Attributes correspond directly to files in sysfs; they can be read or set
via ATTR{}, but you're always limited to only the information exported by
the *kernel*.

> I imagine that additional properties can be set before
> a corresponding addition of matching devices would
> be triggered. Would you like to share any more experiences
> around the fine-tuning of such settings and their reuse
> for the generation of symbolic links by udev rules?

...??

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>