[systemd-devel] persistent network device names

Keller, Jacob E jacob.e.keller at intel.com
Mon Jul 27 10:52:59 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am working with a network device that can create virtual function
devices. When I create a large (>8) vfs for this device I get some
weird device names,

If I create 64 vfs, I see something like:

ens8
ens8f[1-7]
ens8s[1-7]
enp8s[1-7]f[1-7]

If I create 64 vfs, I see something like:
where [1-7] means repeated for 1-7.

This is somewhat confusing and makes it difficult to textually process
all vfs in scripts.

I would imagine that we would want instead:

ens8f1-64 or something?

Would this be possible to add as an extention to the udev rule? I
really am not sure how this is done today.

Alternatively, at least always follow pattern so that we get

enp8s0
enp8s0f1-7
enp8s1

and so on, this way we can rely on the octal notation without having to
special case the first set of 8 vfs...

Even figuring out how to customize udev for my case without it being
default would be appreciated, as I do not mind having a rule that
generates

"ens8" for physical device, but then ens8f<vf> for vf devices.. but I
would like this to be generic for all devices that behave this way...
and I was not sure how to do this.

Regards,
Jake