[systemd-devel] Cannot mount anything after recovering and redoing boot mbr

ccox at endlessnow.com ccox at endlessnow.com
Mon Jul 27 14:35:31 PDT 2015

> On Mon, 27.07.15 01:18, Christopher Cox (ccox at endlessnow.com) wrote:
>
>> I suspect that somebody here knows why, but all mounts now fail... well
>> all but /.
>>
>> Has anyone run across this before?  What did I miss?
>>
>> I accidentally messed up my boot mbr. and I did a rescue cd and chroot
>> in
>> order to rerun grub2-mkconfig and do a grub2-install.
>>
>> Now the system boots to a grub menu and tries to boot, root fileystem
>> mounts
>> but all other mounts fail so goes into "emergency" mode.  From that
>> shell I
>> cannot seem to mount anything, they all fail saying that whatever I'm
>> trying
>> to mount is already mounted or it's "in use".  I can't fsck umounted
>> filesystems either.  They all say "in use".
>
> Maybe your changed the order of your partitions or changed their
> partition UUID? If so, then /etc/fstab will reference incorrect
> partitions now. Make sure bring /etc/fstab into sync with your actual
> partitions.

A "root" is getting mounted and I figure it's the same but will double
check (away from system right now).  Would some kind of root getting
mounted at startup and being different from root in /etc/fstab make some
sort of difference?  Would that cause manual mounts of old style
nonportable dev shortnames (e.g. mount /dev/sda7 /mnt) to fail with the
error of "busy" when done at the command line? (from emergency shell).

I may just back the data off and do a reinstall.  So if anyone can chime
in with other things to try, please do it now before I have to blow it all
away.