[systemd-devel] Looking for experiences formalizing an API for journal messages

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Jul 30 07:01:54 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:02:26PM -0400, Anne Mulhern wrote:
> What I'm wondering about is the existence of some processes (not systemd), that have an
> agreement on a set of key-value pairs that they communicate with through the journal.

There was work done on converting abrt to use the journal. We extended
our set of metadata fields for coredumps which were already used internally
by coredumpctl (see http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=3f132692e3).
I think this work is not finished yet, because of some issues that abrt
would have to copy the coredump file (?), but abrt is becoming an external
consumer.

fail2ban has a "systemd" backend which uses the journal. It uses the
python API for journal to add matches (the mechanism is general and
the matches themselves are specified by filters). This is the same functionality
that journalctl uses.

HTH,
Zbyszek