[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:57:56 PDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 11:48 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> On 2 June 2015 at 12:34, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/02/2015 11:06 AM, David Herrmann wrote:
>>> Regarding the final github address: David Strauss kindly offered the
>>> 'systemd' user to us. Hence, we hope to move the repository to
>>> github.com/systemd/systemd this week. Sorry for the confusion, I hope
>>> we can settle all this this week.
>>
>> Given that you are moving into the direction that I had anticipated we
>> needed to do ( pull-requests ) but was hesitated to ask about ( when I have
>> been working on my infrastructure proposal for the systemd community ) since
>> I though it would not fly by since it limits somewhats Lennart's "drive by
>> patches" concept, I have to ask is moving this to a 3rd party hosting site
>> the best thing to do?
>>
> yes. There are more drive-by people on github, than there are those
> that know where freedesktop.org cgit is, where systemd wiki is, where
> systemd mailing list is, and how to setup MTA to not mangle patches,
> and send them through. And even if there are drive-by people who shoot
> an email to the mailing list, we have enough reviewers / comiters who
> will be able to apply that.
>
>> In my proposal which touches quite few other things ( including replacing
>> both bugzilla and freedesktop wiki ) which is necessary to make things work
>> smoothly for future growth/expansion in the community and systemd adoption,
>> is it not better we would host this ourselves under our own domain ( I have
>> already secured systemd.community domain for that purpose ) on our own
>> instances?
>>
> maintaining /own/ infrastructure does not improve systemd code base.
>
>> Do people prefer these things being hosted at sites which one does not have
>> full control over?
> adequate infrastructure is sufficient here. there is no paranoia about
> hypothetical full control, or lack of it. if everything fails, most of
> us have systemd git clones to move things elsewhere again. Or when we
> find something better to use.

There are more things that need to be done than simply move the git
repository and there are more people involved in community projects than
strictly "developers" and those needs need to be taken into account as
well.

And is not github bound to those idiotic us export control laws which
might exclude individuals from certain country's to obtain and or
contribute to the project?

JBG