[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Tue Jun 2 07:55:29 PDT 2015

On 2 June 2015 at 15:34, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> David Herrmann [2015-06-02 13:06 +0200]:
>> Our preferred way to send future patches is "the github way". This
>> means sending pull-requests to the github repo. Furthermore, all
>> feature patches should go through pull-requests and should get
>> reviewed pre-commit. This applies to everyone. Exceptions are
>> non-controversial patches like typos and obvious bug-fixes.
>
> Makes sense. On the operational level, should we use the
> "automatically merge" feature of git hub once approving? On the plus
> side it's very convenient, but you'll get one "Merge" commit for every
> PR (which is often just one commit), so we'd almost double the entries
> in "git log". Or can github be told to not do that?
>
> Merging manually is quite a bit of work, as you have to add a new
> remote every time, fetch that, and pull from it. But it does keep a
> cleaner git log history.

One doesn't need to add a named remote....

If you have write access, at the bottom of the pull request there is a
link to command line instructions, excluding "make sure you are on the
right target branch" and "you know where to push" it boils down to:

git pull https://github.com/somebody/systemd.git branch-name-that-was-proposed

one step.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.
Pura Vida!

https://clearlinux.org
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.