[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Tue Jun 2 07:58:33 PDT 2015

On 2 June 2015 at 15:49, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 04:34:03PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>> David Herrmann [2015-06-02 13:06 +0200]:
>> > Our preferred way to send future patches is "the github way". This
>> > means sending pull-requests to the github repo. Furthermore, all
>> > feature patches should go through pull-requests and should get
>> > reviewed pre-commit. This applies to everyone. Exceptions are
>> > non-controversial patches like typos and obvious bug-fixes.
>>
>> Makes sense. On the operational level, should we use the
>> "automatically merge" feature of git hub once approving? On the plus
>> side it's very convenient, but you'll get one "Merge" commit for every
>> PR (which is often just one commit), so we'd almost double the entries
>> in "git log". Or can github be told to not do that?
>>
>> Merging manually is quite a bit of work, as you have to add a new
>> remote every time, fetch that, and pull from it. But it does keep a
>> cleaner git log history.
> I'd very much prefer to keep current look of the git tree, without
> gratuitous merge commits. For bigger changes, which are composed of
> a larger number of commits, merges are fine. But most patchsets to systmed
> are either a single commit or two or three.

I disagree. Largely single patches apply fine, but because they are
"merged" using $ git am, they are not actually merged, but rebased on
to tip.

With actually pulling the pull requests, and merging properly, we will
get a merge commit most of the time for most submissions, since the
tree moves that quickly.

And I think this is _good_, because the submitter's commit ids will be
preserved (together with the signed gpg commits) and the maintainers
are discouraged to "fix-up" and/or "adjust" commits upon rebase /
git-am. Instead fix-ups from reviewer should go as separate commits or
as part of the merge commit.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.
Pura Vida!

https://clearlinux.org
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.