[systemd-devel] Performance of systemctl status tab completion

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:18:34 PDT 2015

Hi all.

systemd 216 here on an embedded arm system, 1ghz with a load of 60% or
more. I enabled tab completion, because I really don't like to type,
and quickly found out that something like:

systemctl status xx<tab tab>

Takes a really long time to complete. In some cases something like 20+ seconds.

Interestingly we have systemd watchdog enabled and before increasing
the timeout from 10 seconds to 60 seconds the system was watchdogging
while trying to perform the tab completion operation.

I was wondering if someone knew why this was taking so long, and if
there was some known way of resolving it. I figured that for a normal
computer this isn't an issue, running under F21 in a mbpr parallels vm
it takes a fraction of a second to complete the same operation, so
maybe it isn't something that concerns normal use cases.

In any case, was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction.

Chris