[systemd-devel] SyslogIdentifier does not work for messages printed with sd_journal_print

Martin Belanger martin.belanger at cyaninc.com
Tue Jun 2 20:31:19 PDT 2015

I'm using systemd 219 (Ubuntu 15.04).

I have three instances of a daemon running. I use SyslogIdentifier to
give each of them a unique identifier (e.g. myproc-1, myproc-2,
myproc-3).  I also redirect stdout/stderr to the journal using
StandardOutput=journal and StandardError=journal.

I noticed that messages sent to the journal with printf (i.e. stdout)
get the proper SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER.  However, messages send to the
journal with sd_journal_print() get the default SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER
(i.e. the process name).  I also tried sd_journal_send() and get the
same result.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
Martin