[systemd-devel] Creating units using D-Bus

Jakub Skořepa jakub at skorepa.info
Tue Jun 9 10:33:49 PDT 2015

Hello,
My name is Jakub Skořepa and I'm working on Cockpit UI for Systemd
Timers.

For that I need to create and modify systemd unit files. Cockpit uses D
-Bus for everything so I need D-Bus API for that. I think that it would
be beneficial if systemd was able to create unit files on-the-fly using
through D-Bus method call.

I plan creating simple server for doing this task but long-term it woul
d be better if systemd was capable of doing this.

I propose methods with following signatures:

# CreateUnit:

 Creates specified unit

            sa{sa{ss}}
            |  |  ||
          Name |  |Value
     Section name |
                 Key

# ModifyUnit: (same signature)

 If section/key is not then section/key is left intact.
 If Value="" then key is erased.

# CreateUnits:

 Creates multiple units. Same as CreateUnit called for each top-level
 array element.

            a{sa{sa{ss}}}
              |  |  ||
            Name |  |Value
       Section name |
                   Key

# ModifyUnits: (same signature as CreateUnits)

 Modifies multiple units. Same as ModifyUnit called for each top-level
 array element.

Regards,
Jakub