[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 9 12:50:04 PDT 2015

On Tue, 09.06.15 11:30, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> I would like to see us move and migrated the bugs to jira ( which is without
> doubt the best and friendliest bug tracker I have found ) which integrates
> nicely with github as well as move the community wiki to confluence to
> strengthen collaboration in the community.

Well, I already feel uncomfortable with moving things to one closed
source platform in github, but given the advantages I accept
it. However, moving things to *two* closed source platforms sounds
even worse to me. If we bind our project to closed source companies I
much prefer sticking to one, instead of two.

Also, while I see quite a few shortcomings in github model, pure bug
tracking certainly isn't where the shortcomings are, it's more about
tracking patches where I am not convinced, but I doubt JIRA will fix
that part for us... or will it?

> I would be the one that would overseeing and handling the migration and I
> was hoping David Strauss might be willing to host that infrastructure for us
> and or some other place for that matter ( mini pc in systemd's HQ in German
> maybe ?)

I am very much of the opinion that we should be very careful when
commiting to maintain our own infrastructure. You know how
undermaintained fdo was, and if we do it on our own it's even
worse. Administrating our own servers is a huge amount of work
especially given you have to do this over a long long time
continously, and our workforce is already too limited for the amount
of work we have to do.

One of the major benefits of github I think is that it's their very
business to administer the site for us, and they'll do it as well as
they possibly can. That gets substantially more difficult if we roll
that all on our own, given that most of us have little desire to
become administrators oursevles and we have no budget for paying one
over years.