[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Tue Jun 9 14:54:32 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 09.06.15 13:04, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>> > [...] so we comment and ask for a new PR, and close the old one.
>>
>> See my previous comment, I think this "cure" is worse than the
>> "disease" :-)
>
> Why would you say this? Why are multiple sequencial PR, where the old
> obsoleted ones are closed and locked that bad?

- Too much administrivia
- Threads get split up (did I comment on the origina PR or on this one?)
- Hard to follow the references around
- E-mail notifications get split into separate threads (not that
GitHub does a stellar job of e-mail notifications anyways...)
- ...

I actually think the fact that in GitHub you'll use a PR *or* and
Issue is actually good, so you mainly have a single thread to discuss
the same item...

I just think that working around the GitHub bug of losing comments by
creating a convoluted workflow around it (which is hard to enforce, as
you can't really block PR authors from using `git push -f`) is the
wrong approach...

Maybe someone should complain to GitHub about this issue with losing
track of the comments on the previous versions of the code instead?

If that was fixed in GitHub, would you be happy not splitting multiple
PRs for multiple versions of the same feature/issue?

Cheers,
Filipe