[systemd-devel] Creating units using D-Bus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 9 15:23:05 PDT 2015

On Tue, 09.06.15 14:47, Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) wrote:

> In order for ModifyUnit() to work, there also needs to be a way to
> retrieve the current definition of the unit on the system. (And,
> ideally, a way to retrieve this for any unit currently loaded into
> systemd).

"systemctl cat" gives you the current definition of a unit. "systemctl
show" will give you the full list of settings in effect for a unit
(which is considerably more than the former). We have a nice API for
the latter (since all those setting are exposed as simply bus props),
but the former involves opening the text files on the client side.