[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:37:35 PDT 2015

> On Tue, 09.06.15 19:19, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2015 06:42 PM, David Timothy Strauss wrote:
>>> Let's just try the GitHub tracker. I like how it associates issues with
>>> pull requests and supports auto-linking for commit IDs, user names, and
>>> other issue numbers. Is there any serious use case for systemd upstream it
>>> doesn't support?
>> I can setup an instance which hooks up to the github for people to tried it
>> out and test + people that prefer reporting in github can just continue to
>> do so, Jira imports those issues anyway..
> I am pretty sure we should *at least* first get some experience with
> github's own tools before we start jumping ship for some facets of
> it. We need to understand where the shortcomings are before we look
> for something else.

As I mentioned in my other reply Jira would be an addon to github not a
replacement.

Atlassian has an product called "stash" [1] which is competing against
github.

If people are looking into alternatives for an web-based git repository
solutions to github some comparison can be found here [2]

I myself however is more invested in other aspects of the community than
which web-based git repository solutions should be used
( what mattered only to me in that area was the move to pull requests
since it was an key component for things to work in the long run and
voila we have that with github ).

My area of interest is the infrastructure, qa documentation and such is
where I see the necessity of laying the correct foundation so we have
the room for growth, collaboration as well as it being the place which
results in better utilization of individuals contributed time (
developers and others, for example we need to start offloading some work
of developers at this point in time by my account ) .

1. https://www.atlassian.com/software/stash
2.
http://www.slant.co/topics/1440/compare/~gitlab_vs_stash_vs_github-enterprise