[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Wed Jun 10 08:35:02 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want good review tool, why not use gerrit?

+1 for Gerrit as a code review tool.

It's not perfect, but from all of them that I've used it seems to get
the most right:
- Review *commits* and not PRs (tends to drives up the quality of
individual commits and commit descriptions.)
- Linear history by default (though you can still configure it to
create the merges if you really care about preserving the original
commit ids.)
- Easy to compare two versions of the same commit, you can even do
side-by-side diff of version 3 with version 7 or whatever you like.
- You get to do line-by-line comments on the commit description, so
easy to nitpick there as well.
- You can take over commits from someone else and push a new version
*in the same review* so the comments are preserved and you can still
do side-by-side diffs.
- It does not tend to create spurious branches in the main project,
such as revert-*, etc. When doing `git fetch` we get a copy of those
which just serves to create noise.

Yes I noticed there's gerrithub.io, I haven't really looked at them
closely but looks like a good alternative...

They say they can convert PRs into Gerrits, I just don't know how easy
it is to update the commits with the comments, whether they can still
figure that out from the new push to the same branch of the PR or if
in that case you *need* to use Gerrit for it to figure out the
Commit-Id's, etc...

I'd be willing to do a more thorough evaluation of gerrithub.io, looks
like it can be used in parallel with GitHub anyways.

Cheers,
Filipe