[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:04:17 PDT 2015

On 06/10/2015 05:46 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> There's also no real need for it, I don't understand why you keep
> insisting there is given how well things have been working so far.

I do understand and am aware of the complication ( legal and otherwise
social aspect of it etc ) involved with bringing funds to the project.

Thou you might feel things have been working so far I do not.

Has it worked? yes barely, Could we do better? very much so.

I feel that the community has been showing growth pain for quite
sometime. patches sent to the mailinglist have gone unnoticed,
unreviewed. bugs filed in bz.fd.o being poorly handled etc.

That is why I started working ( a while back ) on finding suitable bug
tracker, buying the systemd.community domain etc. with sole intent to
offload work of developers ( and show up with proof of concept on one
the hackfest to start this discussion for real )

The reason I'm being so persistent is because I believe this is the
right course forward at this point in time to offload work from
developers and for the growth and improvement of the project hence I
should give it my best to try to see that through.

Also I'm afraid that the move to github will not yield the result that
is being sought and arguably is necessary ( most certainly not alone)
on top of that people seem to have mixed feelings about it's process and
workflows as well so deciding something like this behind closed door
then simply announce it was not the right approach towards the community
that is if the intend is truly to build,have and sustain a community but
here we are.

JBG