[systemd-devel] Use a specific device ?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 16:48:57 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 00:40 +0200, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> Le 10. 06. 15 23:37, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
> > Jean-Christian de Rivaz <jc at eclis.ch> writes:
> >
> >> There is not so
> >> much modem manufacturers and each of them don't even release a new
> >> product range per year.
> > Ehh... I don't think we live on the same planet.  Did you know Toshiba
> > is a "modem manufacturer"? Dell? HP? There are 43 (damn - I would have
> > loved to see 42) different vendor IDs just in the option driver:
> >
> >   bjorn at nemi:/usr/local/src/git/linux$ git grep -E '^#define.*VENDOR' drivers/usb/serial/option.c |wc -l
> >   43
>
> Please provide a complete picture:
> git grep -E '^#define.*VENDOR' drivers/usb/serial/* | wc -l
> 174
>
> Not a such bit number. There are various vendor/product database on the
> internet, I failed to identify a unmanageable number of modem on them.
>
> > Feel free to start updating the whitelists in vendor specific drivers
> > like option, qcserial and qmi_wwan. Please let me know when those are
> > complete.
> >
> > No, I don't seriously expect you to do that job.  Fact is that the
> > whitelists are unmaintablable even when the scope is limited to one
> > specific mode of Qualcomm based modems.  Keeping a semi-complete
> > whitelist of all modems is not going to happen.
> >

> I expected this reaction. The first problem was the fact that
> ModemManager is unable to provide a stable name to NetworkManager
> requiring a hack in the configuration that will not work anymore if
> there more than a single modem. Instead of making some constructives
> propositions to find a way to sole the problem clearly caused by
> ModemManager, the project push all his effort to reject any critic and

I think we all agree that the stable name thing is a problem, and in
fact I'm still open to your proposal there.

> constructive proposition. I proposed a way to make the transition to a
> whitelist but you don't even comment on it: you seem only focused on
> rejecting anything that can possibly fix the ModemManager problems.

But I do disagree that a whitelist is the correct way forward for modem
*identification*, which is a completely separate issue from the one
above that we all agree still needs to be solved.

Dan