[systemd-devel] systemd-resolved as dnsmasq replacement

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 17 06:27:23 PDT 2015

On Wed, 17.06.15 15:19, Igor Bukanov (igor at mir2.org) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> perhaps I missed something, but it seems that systemd-resolved cannot
> be configured to serve the same role as dnsmasq and be a DNS server
> for local machine.  I.e. I cannot just have nameserver 127.0.0.1 in
> /ertc/resolv.conf and get LLMNR resolution working for progams that
> only use nameservers from /etc/resolv.conf .

The semantics of LLMNR are quite different from DNS. Translating DNS
requests to LLMNR is not really a good idea. For example, DNS clients
generally have no concept of address scopes, while they are pretty
much essential for LLMNR, because that is usually used in conjuntion
with ipv4ll and ipv6 link local addresses.

Hence: we will not do translation like that. And we won't add that for
mDNS (which I plan to add support for soon) either.

> Is it really true and this is indeed an unimplemented feature?

THis is not intended to be available. To hook up local name service
clients people should use the "nss-resolve" NSS module, which ensures
that gethostbyname() and friends use resolved as backend.