[systemd-devel] systemd-resolved as dnsmasq replacement

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 17 10:51:29 PDT 2015

On Wed, 17.06.15 19:48, Igor Bukanov (igor at mir2.org) wrote:

> On 17 June 2015 at 15:27, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > To hook up local name service
> > clients people should use the "nss-resolve" NSS module, which ensures
> > that gethostbyname() and friends use resolved as backend.
>
> I suppose then non-glibc clients should deal with that on its own. I
> thought converting LLMNR into DNS would be a reasonable hack, but then
> if the translation requires too much insanity, then indeed it is
> better not to do that.

If people use libraries to do DNS manually, then they'll do *DNS*
manually, and we shouldn't interfere with that really.

Usually people pick non-libc DNS libraries because they need async
behaviour. I am pretty sure that's a pretty bad reason though and if
you want async behaviour you should use sd-resolve or so.