[systemd-devel] [survey] BTRFS_IOC_DEVICES_READY return status

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Wed Jun 17 12:10:02 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-15 19:38, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 15.06.15 19:23, Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijack at inwind.it) wrote:

>>> Hmm, no. /bin/mount should not block for devices. That's generally
>>> incompatible with how the tool is used, and in particular from
>>> systemd. We would not make use for such a scheme in
>>> systemd. /bin/mount should always be short-running.
>>
>> Apart systemd, which are these incompatibilities ?
>
> Well, /bin/mount is not a daemon, and it should not be one.

My helper is not a deamon; you was correct the first time: it blocks until all needed/enough devices are appeared.
Anyway this should not be different from mounting a nfs filesystem. Even in this case the mount helper blocks until the connection happened. The block time is not negligible, even tough not long as a device timeout ...

>>> I am pretty sure that if such automatic degraded mounting should be
>>> supported, then this should be done with some background storage
>>> daemon that alters the effect of the READY ioctl somehow after the
>>> timeout, and then retriggers the devcies so that systemd takes
>>> note. (or, alternatively: such a scheme could even be implemented all
>>> in kernel, based on some configurable kernel setting...)
>>
>> I recognize that this solution provides the maximum compatibility
>> with the current implementation. However it seems too complex to
>> me. Re-trigging a devices seems to me more a workaround than a
>> solution.
>
> Well, it's not really ugly. I mean, if the state or properties of a
> device change, then udev should update its information about it, and
> that's done via a retrigger. We do that all the time already, for
> example when an existing loopback device gets a backing file assigned
> or removed. I am pretty sure that loopback case is very close to what
> you want to do here, hence retriggering (either from the kernel side,
> or from userspace), appears like an OK thing to do.

What seems strange to me is that in this case the devices don't have changed their status.
How this problem is managed in the md/dm raid cases ?

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5