[systemd-devel] networkd bridge masquerading

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Thu Jun 18 05:19:18 PDT 2015

I'm trying to setup networking for containers/vms similar to e.g. docker0
bridge, or lxcbr0. But purely with networkd. That is a bridge that is NATed
to provide internet access, and then attaching tap/veth devices to the
bridge.

I did this at first:

br0.netdev:
[NetDev]
Name=br0
Kind=bridge

br0.network:
[Match]
Name=br0

[Network]
Address=0.0.0.0/28
IPMasquerade=yes

Without adding any veth / tap interfaces to the bridge. My expectation is
for such a bridge to come up correctly. However in journalctl I get:

br0          : Could not enable IP masquerading: Operation not supported
br0          : Could not enable IP masquerading: Operation not supported
br0          : link configured

What's wrong, or I am doing something crazy?

Secondly, is there an API to manipulate networkd? Ideally i would like to
add/remove tap interfaces that would be part of this bridge. The only way I
found to do this is by e.g. dropping files to /run/systemd/network and
restarting networkd service. That works fine, however this results in the
bridge accumulating ip addresses, which is not nice.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.
Pura Vida!

https://clearlinux.org
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.