[systemd-devel] networkd bridge masquerading

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 18 10:34:57 PDT 2015

On Thu, 18.06.15 13:19, Dimitri John Ledkov (dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com) wrote:

> Without adding any veth / tap interfaces to the bridge. My expectation is
> for such a bridge to come up correctly. However in journalctl I get:
>
> br0          : Could not enable IP masquerading: Operation not supported
> br0          : Could not enable IP masquerading: Operation not supported
> br0          : link configured
>
> What's wrong, or I am doing something crazy?

Load ip_tables.ko. systemd git will automatically load it at boot for you.

> Secondly, is there an API to manipulate networkd? Ideally i would like to
> add/remove tap interfaces that would be part of this bridge. The only way I
> found to do this is by e.g. dropping files to /run/systemd/network and
> restarting networkd service. That works fine, however this results in the
> bridge accumulating ip addresses, which is not nice.

We currently lack a bus API for networkd. But we started designing
something recently, but it's only plans, and the plans aren't even
complete yet:

http://fpaste.org/233667/34648285/

(sorry for the weird formatting, this is copied from an etherpad that
broke the formatting...)

There are quite some things missing from the bus API design, including
a concept of transient netdevs, which is pretty much what you are
asking for.