[systemd-devel] How to get used to systemd vs init

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 23 13:01:14 PDT 2015

Am 23.06.2015 um 21:45 schrieb Chad:
> The new systemd way would be to type (23 total characters, no tab
> complete):
> systemctl restart httpd
> Maybe I could tab complete systemctl, but I don't currently have a
> CentOS 7 system to test on.

maybe you should just install CentOS inside a VM and test it

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl restart h
halt-local.service               haveged.service
home.mount                       hostapd-guest.service
httpd-lounge-worker.service      hybrid-sleep.target
halt.target                      hibernate.target
hostapd-guest-interface.service  hostapd.service
httpd.service

> The real issue is that I have to know (in the above example) that it is
> httpd not http.
> With so many systems, distros, and services it is hard to remember every
> service name exactly (and some names are very long). For example ntpd
> has a d, but nfs does not.
> Tab completion fixes this issue for me.
>
> How can I use tab completion with systemd?

as like for any other software - hit the TAB key

> #####
> 2. How to find all possible services:
>
> The init way:
> ls -l /etc/init/d
>
> The systemd way:
> ls -l /lib/systemd/system/*.service /etc/systemd/system/*.service
>
> This seems WAY harder and I have to remember 2 locations instead of 1

nobody but you installs systemd-units in /etc/ and so you have only one
location AND customized ones - with sysvinit you had no way to override
/etc/init.d/httpd without doing the work after each update again