[systemd-devel] journald uncleanly closed files

Ernast Sevo ersevs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 05:55:10 PDT 2015

Hello!

 I have a small issue that I am facing on my system when journal files
aren't cleanly closed. I have seen online that many other people have
encountered this online but haven't actually come close to finding a
solution or figuring out what the issue is. Essentially on my system
journal files that aren't cleanly closed seem to build up in
persistent storage regardless of my options in journald.conf . If I
attempt to look at the disk usage journald is well aware of that it
has exceeded the size but does nothing to fix this. However, forcing a
journal rotation reduces the size of the journal to the limits set in
journald.conf . I am trying to keep this from happening and at the
same time understand how systemd handles this case. My questions are
as follows:

1. Since the limits set in journald.conf are all size based, at what
point after a fresh boot will journal rotation occur?
2. Is this journal rotation size based or time based?
3. Is the answer to question 2 configurable in some way?

Thank you very much for your help,

 Ernast