[systemd-devel] SysVInit service migration to systemd

Lesley Kimmel ljkimmel99 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:15:40 PDT 2015

Hi all;

I've been working with RHEL5/6 for the past several years and have developed many init scripts/services which generally use lock files and PID files to allow for tracking of the service status. We are moving to RHEL7 (systemd) in the near future and I am looking for instruction or tutorials on how to effectively migrate these scripts to work with systemd.

I found https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Service_types which seems somewhat promising but it is fairly high-level. It looks like I may be able to use the 'forking' type with the 'pidfile' parameter to somewhat mimic what the scripts to today. However, I have a couple of questions:

-How does systemd track whether it should be stopping a service at shutdown (analogous to the /var/lock/subsys files in SysVInit)?
-Are there merits to using the notify or dbus types? If so does anyone know of a tutorial I could use to get to that point? (FYI, I'm not a developer but I learn complicated things quickly).
-If the current service logs to a custom, dedicated log is there a way to get systemd to provide the same type of output that it does for the built-in system services or must I make some modifications to integrate with journald?

Thanks ahead of time,
Lesley Kimmel, RHCE
Linux/Unix Systems Engineer