[systemd-devel] xinetd REMOTE_IP (feature request)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.com
Sun Jun 28 06:57:13 PDT 2015

Fisher, Charles J.:

> The xinetd server from previous versions of RedHat defined a REMOTE_IP environment variable.

Lennart Poettering:
> I wonder though whether it wouldn't be nicer to follow the variable naming used by CGI here, and introduce $REMOTE_ADDR and $REMOTE_PORT instead of $REMOTE_IP.

Or you could implement an existing more comprehensive protocol, of long
standing (coming up to 20 years) in the world of spawning TCP services
on Unix and already implemented almost a decade ago in GNU inetd (and by
some other inetds a few years later) and available right now in inetd on
systems like Ubuntu 14 LTS:

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/UCSPI.html