[systemd-devel] SysVInit service migration to systemd

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:09:03 PDT 2015

В Mon, 29 Jun 2015 08:58:11 -0500
Lesley Kimmel <ljkimmel99 at hotmail.com> пишет:

> Jonathan;
>
> Thanks for the background and information. Since you clearly seem to have a grasp of systemd please humour me with a few more questions (some of them slightly ignorant):
>
> a) Why are PID bad?

PID files as the primary way to track running service are too
unreliable - it is easy for a service to die without removing PID file.
PID file as a mean to track service startup the way systemd does it is
IMHO just fine. Actually it is the only way for a service to announce
its readiness without adding explicit systemd support (Type=notify).