[systemd-devel] Stricter handling of failing mounts during boot under systemd - crap idea !

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 29 13:16:09 PDT 2015

Am 29.06.2015 um 21:36 schrieb jon:
> On Mon, 2015-06-29 at 20:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Mon, 29.06.15 19:20, jon (jon at jonshouse.co.uk) wrote:
>>
>>> Reversing the logic by adding a "mustexist" fstab option and keeping the
>>> default behaviour would fix it.
>>
>> At this time, systemd has been working this way for 5y now. The
>> behaviour it implements is also the right behaviour I am sure, and the
>> "nofail" switch predates systemd even.
> I disagree strongly.  As I said the "option" did not do anything... so
> the change only really happened when systemd coded it. Very people are
> using systemd, so this change may be "stable old code" in your world, in
> my world it "new" and its behaviour is "wrong" !

while i often disagree with systemd developers
*that* behavior is simply correct

>>   Hence I am very sure the
>> default behaviour should stay the way it is.
> Your default behaviour or mine !
>
> Many people that I know who run linux for real work have been using
> systemd for 5 mins, most have yet to discover it at all !

well, it needs much more than 5 minutes to get into a new core part of
the system and that said: Fedora users are using systemd now since 2011
me including in production

> The first I knew about is when Debian adopted it, I have been using
> systemd for a few hours only. It may be your 5 year old pet, but to me
> it just a new set of problems to solve.

you can't blame others for that. systemd was available and widely known
before

> I normally install machines with Debian stable,  I am just discovering
> systemd for the first time.

and *that* is the problem not a *minor* change, i would understand if
you have to change /etc/fstab for 5000 machines but even then: large
setups are maintained not by login everywhere manually and make the same
change, especially that you can make this change *before* upgrades
because it don't harm sysvinit systems, the have no problem with "nofail"

>>> Bringing up networking/sshd in parallel to the admin shell would also
>>> mitigate my issue....
>>
>> That's a distro decision really. Note though that many networking
>> implementations as well as sshd are actually not ready to run in
>> early-boot, like the emergecny mode is. i.e. they assume access to
>> /var works, use PAM, and so on, which you better avoid if you want to
>> run in that boot phase.
>
> Hmmm ... it used to be possible with telnetd, so I suspect it is still
> possible with sshd.

not relieable, the emergency shell is even there when mounting the
rootfs fails and then you can't bring up most services

but i agree that *trying to bring up network and sshd* would be not a
bad idea, in case the problem is with a unimportant datadisk it may help

> This is the "problem" with systemd, by changing one small behaviour it
> now requires many many changes to get a truly useful system behaviour
> back.

honestly it is not normal that mountpoints disappear like in your case
and even if - a machine which is that important usually has a *tested*
setup and is reachable via KVM or something similar

>> As you might know my company cares about containers, big servers
>> primarily, while I personally run things on a laptop and a smaller
>> server on the Internet. Hence believe me that I usually care about
>> laptop setups at least as much as for server setups.
> Nope, did not know that, interesting.

you know Redhat?
read recent IT news about Redhat and containers