[systemd-devel] getent hosts <machine>

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 30 03:58:17 PDT 2015

Johannes Ernst wrote on 29/06/15 19:51:
>> On Jun 29, 2015, at 10:32, Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst at gmail.com
>> <mailto:johannes.ernst at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I was hoping that
>> getent hosts <containername>
>> would work, just like
>> getent hosts <hostname>
>> where <hostname> can be anything else in the hosts: field in
>> nsswitch.conf. But no such luck.
>>
>> The <containername> does get resolved correctly in other cases, e.g.
>> when pinging it.
>>
>> Not knowing how getent actually works, I don’t know why that is, but I
>> figured I mention it.
>
> I take it back. A reboot fixed it.
>
> It appears I had a different problem: machinectl (suddenly) stopped
> showing any containers, but ps still showed several systemd-nspawn
> processes.

FWIW, my machine is also currently in that state:

[root at jimmy ~]# pgrep systemd-nspawn
25917
[root at jimmy ~]# ps aux | grep [s]ystemd-nspawn
root     25917  0.0  0.0  15380   200 ?        Ss   Jun26   0:00
/usr/bin/systemd-nspawn -b -M tl.dev -D
/home/colin/Development/Work/container7
--bind=/home/colin/Development/Work/trunk
[root at jimmy ~]# machinectl
MACHINE CLASS SERVICE

0 machines listed.

Not sure what caused it (machined logs say it was terminated just under
15mins after it started)

I did have issues that a previous machine was not marked as having been
stopped (i.e. machinectl listed it after I'd stop the service unit for
the machine and systemd-nspawn processes had gone - pretty much the
opposite problem!). I edited my unit file to rename the -M argument
passed to systemd nspawn and reloaded systemd to reread the unit. I
notice that machined said my old machine name terminated at the same
time systemd was reloaded...

What adds to the curiosity now I look at my logs, the current name was
also ejected when I reloaded systemd again.

Jun 26 13:58:44 jimmy systemd[1]: Reloading.
Jun 26 13:58:44 jimmy systemd-machined[16851]: Machine tl.dev7 terminated.
Jun 26 13:58:44 jimmy systemd[1]: Failed to enumerate devices: Invalid
argument
Jun 26 13:58:44 jimmy systemd[1]: Failed to reload: Invalid argument

Jun 26 14:13:40 jimmy systemd[1]: Reloading.
Jun 26 14:13:41 jimmy systemd-machined[16851]: Machine tl.dev terminated.
Jun 26 14:13:41 jimmy systemd[1]: Failed to enumerate devices: Invalid
argument
Jun 26 14:13:41 jimmy systemd[1]: Failed to reload: Invalid argument

Random guess: Perhaps machined is using fd storage facility of systemd
and the reload borks it and it sees it as the machine going away?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie