[systemd-devel] Service watchdog feature in state ACTIVATING ?

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Mon Mar 2 11:50:32 PST 2015

Hi Marko,

On Sunday, March 1, 2015, Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) <mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ran into a use case where the activation phase of a service takes
> significantly longer than the desired watchdog period (Activating:
> 10-20secs, Watchdog: 1-5secs).
>
> I found out that the watchdog features starts not before the service is in
> state START_POST. This means for my use case that the system is blind for
> 10-20secs (whatever I set as startup timeout here).
>
> Is there any way to activate the watchdog feature already in phase
> ACTIVATING?

Why would you need this? Watchdog is to prevent system being stuck
somewhere. If activation fails within TimeoutStartSec=, systemd will put
the service in "failed to activate" state anyways.

Is waiting 20 seconds to detect the freeze is too much for your case? Is it
not possible to lower the activation time?

Umut