[systemd-devel] Possible bug when a dummy service declares After= and/or Conflicts= a .mount unit?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:17:22 PST 2015

> It seems like tmp.mount unit was skipped as nothing declared any explicit
> dependency against it. What seems to confirm this is that if I add any
> enabled foo.service which declares After=tmp.mount, or if I add the After=
> statement to systemd-timesync.service, then I get tmp.mount reliably to
> start (and it was installed as the journal shows up). Does it make sense?

I do have several units which have PrivateTmp=true (cups.service,
timesyncd) which *are* started during boot, yet tmp.mount is not being
activated. Inspecting the units via systemctl shows e.g.

$ systemctl show cups.service -p After -p Requires
Requires=basic.target cups.socket -.mount tmp.mount
After=cups.socket -.mount system.slice tmp.mount basic.target
cups.path systemd-journald.socket

Why is tmp.mount then not reliably activated during boot here?

universe are pointed away from Earth?