[systemd-devel] is systemd killing dhclient?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:40:03 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Ido Barkan <ibarkan at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a VDSM developer at Ovirt project.
>
> VDSM is a daemon which is run as a systemd unit and manages a RHEV
> hypervisor.
> During it's start up, under ExecStartPre the unit runs an initialization
> script, that calls
> a part of VDSM in order to configure networking on the host. During the
> network initialization
> 'ifup' is called for interfaces with DHCP defined as their boot protocol.
> dhclient then runs,
> assigns an IP address to the interface and .... gets killed!

ExecStartPre? Yes, if I remember correctly, systemd kills all leftover
ExecStartPre processes before starting the main daemon. (SIGTERM first,
though.)

It's intentional – ExecStartPre isn't the right place for long-running
processes. Isn't there already an ifup.service or ifup at .service that VDSM
could depend on? [Requires=, After=, etc.]

If not, could you write one (e.g. vdsm-ifup) and *then* make VDSM depend on
it?

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>