[systemd-devel] Why don't remote file systems wait for network-online.target?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 10 04:40:40 PDT 2015

Hello all,

we got a report [1] that NFS fstab mounts (sometimes) aren't being
mounted at boot as the network is still down:

| mount[866]: mount.nfs: Network is unreachable
| systemd[1]: mnt-server.mount mount process exited, code=exited status=32
| systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/server.
| systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
| systemd[1]: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
| systemd[1]: Unit mnt-server.mount entered failed state.

At the moment, neither network-fs-pre.target has no dependencies at
all, and the fstab-generator-created .mount units only have
"Before=remote-fs.target" and no other dependencies.

Wouldn't it make sense to make network-fs-pre.target
Wants/After=network-online to fix this? If you have/rely on NFS
mounts, then you usually have some static/always working network
connection via networkd/auto-connection in NM/ifupdown/etc, which all
integrate into network-online.target.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1429975