[systemd-devel] initrd mount wrongly unmounted during bootup

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Wed Mar 11 11:26:52 PDT 2015

I'm working with an embedded device that mounts / and /var in initrd. It
then switches root and fires up systemd. Early in the boot, after paths
target, /var gets unmounted. I want systemd to not do that, but I can't
figure out how to stop it.
I would like systemd to leave /var mounted, but still unmount it during
shutdown. I would rather not move the mounting of /var out of initrd. Is
this possible?
I'm trying to use a very stripped down systemd. As minimal as possible.
I'm using systemd-219. The logs say that var.mount is bound to an inactive
unit, and it is stopping too. I assume that is why /var gets unmounted,
but I don't know what to do to stop it. There is no /etc/fstab file. There
is no var.mount file.
I assume I'm either missing something simple, or it is not possible.
# systemctl --all
var.mount                                                   loaded
inactive dead    /var

# journalctl
systemd[1]: Unit var.mount is bound to inactive unit. Stopping, too.
systemd[1]: Reached target Paths.
systemd[1]: Starting Paths.
systemd[1]: Unmounting /var...
systemd[1]: Unmounted /var.