[systemd-devel] How to factory reset?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:39:24 PDT 2015

В Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:41:43 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> пишет:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
>
> > Systemd by default mounts it with autofs, it will not be mounted until
> > it is accessed, which does not happen during normal operation. We
> > currently miss autofs timeout handling, which would umount /boot again
> > when it is no longer used. That would make stuff pretty robust, I
> > expect.
> > It's just that distros have their rather broken concept of putting it
> > into fstab, and even cascading mounts with splitting /boot and the
> > ESP.
>
> That's an improvement, sure.
>
> But the very idea of ESPs that need any post-install modification in
> the first place is what introduces this fragility in the first place.
> Windows never makes ESP modifications post-install,

Windows bootloader configuration is stored on ESP; of course it is not
changed often. Also Windows still needs to update bootloader every
now and then. This is actually quite similar to secure boot with grub2
used by Linux today where only pointer to /boot need to be set. As
neither binary nor grub.cfg snippet normally change we probably could
skip even that after initial installation.