[systemd-devel] minimal required units

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Thu Mar 12 08:41:28 PDT 2015

Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote on 03/11/2015 08:47:43 PM:

> From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
> To: Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
> Cc: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: 03/11/2015 08:47 PM
> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] minimal required units
>
> В Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:02:29 -0700
> Aaron_Wright at selinc.com пишет:
>
> > I'm trying to make an embedded device, and I would like to start with
the
> > minimal setup as possible. Are there some units that are required by
> > systemd?
> > I ask because systemd is complaining about a missing rescue.target
unit,

> When does it do it?

It was doing this because my default unit was not set correctly. But that
isn't really the question. The question is, what units are required by
systemd? How can I figure that out? It seems like rescue.target,
local-fs.target, and local-fs-pre.target are required, but I've only
discovered that after trial and error. I know the systemd.special man page
lists a ton of special units, but it seems that not all of them are
required. Right? Well, which ones are? I feel like I need to look through
the code to see when a hardcoded unit is referenced, like rescue.target
was, that I don't know about.

My device doesn't have many of the same requirements of a full desktop or
server Linux, so I'm trying to strip out things from systemd, unit wise,
that I don't want or need. I've customized sysinit.target and basic.target
to just reference the units I want. And that seems to be going smooth, but
it appears there are other units, that I didn't know about that are
required, but that aren't documented as such (that I could find). This
scares me a bit.