[systemd-devel] initrd mount wrongly unmounted during bootup

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Thu Mar 12 08:42:15 PDT 2015

Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote on 03/11/2015 08:44:28 PM:

> From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
> To: Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
> Cc: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: 03/11/2015 08:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] initrd mount wrongly unmounted during
bootup

> В Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:26:52 -0700
> Aaron_Wright at selinc.com пишет:
>
> > I'm working with an embedded device that mounts / and /var in initrd.
It
> > then switches root and fires up systemd. Early in the boot, after
paths
> > target, /var gets unmounted. I want systemd to not do that, but I
can't
> > figure out how to stop it.
> > I would like systemd to leave /var mounted, but still unmount it
during
> > shutdown. I would rather not move the mounting of /var out of initrd.
Is
> > this possible?
> > I'm trying to use a very stripped down systemd. As minimal as
possible.

> Do you use udev in initrd?

No. initrd is a custom script I wrote, and it mounts devtmpfs for its
devices.

> > I'm using systemd-219. The logs say that var.mount is bound to an
inactive
> > unit, and it is stopping too. I assume that is why /var gets
unmounted,
> > but I don't know what to do to stop it. There is no /etc/fstab file.
There
> > is no var.mount file.
> > I assume I'm either missing something simple, or it is not possible.
>
> Did you try this commit?
>

> commit 628c89cc68ab96fce2de7ebba5933725d147aecc
> ...snip...

I was finally able to get /var to stay mounted when I included the
local-fs.target and local-fs-pre.target units on the device. Apparently
they are used magically by systemd. I'm not sure why or how, but it does
finally work, so I'm happy. This leads to my other question about what
units are required. I'll continue on that discussion on that thread.