[systemd-devel] minimal required units

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Thu Mar 12 11:09:57 PDT 2015

Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote on 03/12/2015 10:38:19 AM:

> From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
> To: Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
> Cc: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: 03/12/2015 10:38 AM
> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] minimal required units
>
> В Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:42:25 -0700
> Aaron_Wright at selinc.com пишет:
>
> > Peter Sztan <sztanpet at gmail.com> wrote on 03/12/2015 09:33:38 AM:
> >
> > > From: Peter Sztan <sztanpet at gmail.com>
> > > To: Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
> > > Date: 03/12/2015 09:33 AM
> > > Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] minimal required units
> > >
> > > Sorry for the noise, I have now read that you have already seen it.
> > >

> > Just for illustration purposes, here are few units listed in
> > systemd.special, that I don't feel like I need, but which I'm left
> > wondering if systemd needs them:
> >
> > cryptsetup.target
> > display-manager.service
> > getty.target
> > graphical.target
> > hibernate.target
> > hybrid-sleep.target
> > halt.target
> > initrd-fs.target
> > kbrequest.target
> > multi-user.target
> > network-online.target
> > poweroff.target
> > remote-fs.target
> > initrd-root-fs.target
> > runlevel*.target
> > sigpwr.target
> > sleep.target
> > suspend.target
> > swap.target
> >

> targets serve as common reference for collection of other units
> (services). They do not do anything by themselves, there is absolutely
> no reason to remove them. Some of them (at least those mentioned in
> systemd.special) do have special meaning and removing them will
> actually break functionality.

In my embedded environment I have to justify everything on the product.
Given that the product doesn't have a monitor, I find that targets such as
graphical.target or display-manager.target for example are hard to
justify.

I would rather not just throw the whole systemd-kitchen-sink at the
product and call it a day. It seems obvious that not all of the units
referenced in systemd.special are actually required. Some of them don't
even exist with my configuration (dbus.service, dbus.socket,
runlevel*.target, etc).

I feel like there needs to be a list of required units to get base
functionality out of systemd. So that embedded guys like me can build up a
system from scratch, instead of starting from full blown desktop support
and guessing at what can be taken out.

My question is mainly about whether the list of actual required units is
known, or if it is something that requires investigation (digging through
a bunch of code).