[systemd-devel] Enabling timesyncd in virtual machines

Michael Marineau michael.marineau at coreos.com
Fri Mar 13 12:25:59 PDT 2015

Greetings,

Currently systemd-timesyncd.service includes
ConditionVirtualization=no, disabling it in both containers and
virtual machines. Each VM platform tends to deal with or ignore the
time problem in their own special ways, KVM/QEMU has the kernel time
source kvm-clock, Xen has had different schemes over the years, VMware
expects a userspace daemon sync the clock, and other platforms are
content to drift with the wind as far as I can tell.

I don't know of a robust way to know if a platform needs a little
extra help from userspace to keep the clock sane or not but it seems
generally safer to try than to risk drifting. Does anyone know of a
reason to leave timesyncd off by default? Otherwise switching to
ConditionVirtualization=!container should be reasonable.

Thanks,
Mike