[systemd-devel] journald on embedded systems

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 07:47:49 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
<umut at tezduyar.com> wrote:
> Getting inspiration from what you are proposing, you can already forward
> messages to a datagram socket (syslog). You could implement a program to
> empty out the datagram socket and only write the messages you want. Syslog
> format doesnt know anything about FIELD though. One down side of this
> implementation is that your program will be woken up for every message
> causing extra context switch.
>
> Regardless off this, it is interesting to hear out the thoughts about
> filtering. There have been discussions about per service filtering too.
>
> Umut

One of the goals is to be able to continue to use journalctl to
extract data from the journal. We already are persisting some
important fields into the journal and retrieving them later. If we
persisted data in another format we'd have to modify code, implement
file size limits, rotation etc.

Chris