[systemd-devel] journald on embedded systems

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 10:39:52 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:59:42AM -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
>> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:

>> > You should be able to do something like this right now with journal-remote:
>> > journalctl --directory /run/log/<bootid> -o export | \
>> >    systemd-journal-remote -o /var/log/<bootid>/ -
>> >

>> Thats pretty cool. I didn't realize systemd-journal-remote existed.
>> Using journalctl would mean we have the ability to add filters to the
>> output stream.
> Yes.
>
>> > This is a bit too hacky to put into production, and it would be better
>> > to have a single binary which does this. But all the parts are there:
>> >
>> > - following the journal and filtering,
>> > - opening of specific directory as input,
>> > - saving of state (i.e. the last cursor written),
>> > - writing to a directory and rotating files the same as journald does.
>> >
>> > So adding a new binary (or extending one of the existing ones)
>> > supporting your use case would be a matter of hooking stuff together.

>> > Adding filtering and splitting functionality to journald is another
>> > story of course. It probably would work better: more efficent, and
>> > journal entries would not be duplicated at all.
>> >

>> The piping example you gave does seem to be a bit more heavyweight
>> than a process that was using the sd_journal_xxx() calls to interact
>> with the journal.
>>
>> It doesn't look like systemd-journal-remote supports size limits or
>> rotation, the man page doesn't have any options for that.
> It does. They are not configurable, so it just uses the defaults.
> I guess that this should be added.

Ahh. Let me take a look at adding those as a way to figure out how to
test systemd in a container and get started developing.

>> Would it be much less efficient to make yet another program that used
>> sd_journal_xxx() calls, and whatever functionality
>> systemd-journal-remote used to write to a new journal vs. trying to
>> extend journald to do this internally? I'd rather not try to force
>> things into journald proper that don't belong there if the separate
>> application approach is nearly as performant and much cleaner.
> One thing which implementing this in journald would give over implementing
> is in something separate: journald could be configured to split messages
> between /run, or /var. journalctl has the ability to transparently merge
> events from multiple directories, so this split would be invisible to
> users.
>
> I don't see how this could be done so nicely with a separate tool.

Yeah. Journalctl could blend the two together. I guess that implies
that the entries put into the persisted journal would not make it into
the non-persisted journal, eg. there wouldn't be duplicate entries.

>> Or possibly enhance systemd-journal-remote to also support following
>> the journal in addition to its current behavior of taking input from
>> stdin?
> Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

>> > I think that supporting a set of similar filters to journalctl would
>> > be a good start. Options which limit the number of messages or
>> > filter based on time would not make sense for journald, but most
>> > other probably would.
>> >

>> Not following what you are referring to when you say "supporting a set
>> of similar filters to journalctl would be a good start".
> _FIELD=value, --priority, --unit, --user-unit, --dmesg, --identifier, --user,
> --system.
>
> Zbyszek

Ahh. Thought it supported a bit of that already.

Chris