[systemd-devel] Appc support in systemd-importd

Alban Crequy alban at endocode.com
Tue Mar 17 10:21:45 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Vincent Batts <vbatts at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/03/15 15:24 +0100, Iago L?pez Galeiras wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're looking into adding appc[1] support in systemd-importd. An appc
>> image (ACI) is just a tar with a "rootfs" directory and a json "manifest".
>> We would have to implement image discovery and simply extract the rootfs.
>> Some questions:
>>
>> * I see that the dkr implementation ignores the information in the docker
>> manifest (resource restrictions, binary to exec...). Is that by design or
>> just not implemented yet? Should we do the same with appc (*only* extract
>> the rootfs)?
>>
>> * Alban liked the idea of saving the manifest so we can extract the whole
>> ACI and modify nspawn to detect a container is an ACI and set
>> /var/lib/machines/appc-image.aci/rootfs as the container's root. The benefit
>> of keeping the manifest would be knowing which binary to start. Is that
>> acceptable?
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/appc/spec/blob/master/SPEC.md
>

> Is there a place that you are working on this logic? I'm will
> participate. My simple stub is
> https://github.com/vbatts/systemd/commit/6067a9f484af4cfeb9c4b01965edcd50ff0cffc3
> rebased on master.

Iago and I have a couple of branches on:
https://github.com/endocode/systemd/branches
- iaguis/nspawn-aci for the code in systemd-nspawn
- alban/aci for the rest of the code

It's not ready for submitting upstream (there are hardcoded URLs to
etcd...) but it could download the aci, and nspawn could run it.

I am "albanc" on IRC Freenode #systemd. Working together on this would
be great :)

Cheers,
Alban