[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Christoph Pleger Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Mar 19 05:19:28 PDT 2015

Hello,

>> So, if the original unit file multi-user.target contains
>>
>> After=basic.target rescue.service rescue.target
>>
>> this "after" does not really mean anything and jobs wanted or required
>> by
>> multi-user.target can already be started when some jobs from
>> basic.target
>> have not been started???
>>

> After means exactly what it says - multi-user.target waits for all
> units listed in After line. It does not imply anything about relative
> ordering of those units. Unless they have other dependencies all of
> them will (attempted to) be started in parallel.

Then, I still do not understand why my definition of a new target did not
work. What is the difference between multi-user.target waiting for
basic.target on the one hand and new.target waiting for basic.target and
multi-user.target waiting for new.target on the other hand, aside from
that one intermediate step?

Regards
  Christoph