[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Mar 19 10:26:03 PDT 2015

Am 19.03.2015 um 18:00 schrieb Uoti Urpala:
> On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 18:41 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The summary of my reply was "What you probably want, is hook into
>>> basic.target or sysinit.target, use DefaultDependencies=no, and
>>> specify the dependencies/orderings explicitly."
>>>
>>> Apparently, this didn't stick.
>>
>> The reality is, this question comes again and again; and the very fact
>> that we had to add *-pre.target to allow such kind of ordering
>> dependencies shows that the problem is real.
>
> What exactly is your definition of "this question" and "the problem"? I
> don't see any natural definition that would equally apply to what the
> original poster was trying to do and things like local-fs-pre.target

that you have sometimes things where you want to make sure a specific
order and say: "don't start my target until basic target is started and
don't start anything until all the services of my target are up"

it would make ordering way easier and give a ton of flexibility for
unit-writers (which are not only distributions but end-users/admins with
very specific environments)