[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:56:55 PDT 2015

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> schrieb:

> Am 19.03.2015 um 22:04 schrieb Kai Krakow:
>> Christoph Pleger <Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de> schrieb:
>>
>>> I am experimenting a little with systemd and trying to define a new
>>> "intermediate" runlevel, a runlevel between basic.target and
>>> multi-user.target. This means that I want the services which are
>>> required by my new runlevel to be started after all services from
>>> basic.target have been started and to be finished before any service
>>> from multi-user.target is started.
>>
>> I think there is still this sysvinit-related misconception that systemd
>> target equal sysvinit runlevels.
>>
>> Systemd uses automatic ordering of units through socket activation and
>> explicitly defined dependencies (which BTW most of the time are not
>> needed). Thus, a target just defines which set of services you want to
>> run asap. Multiple targets can become active in parallel, and systemd
>> will try to reach them in parallel. All dependencies will be thrown into
>> the same soup and systemd works its way through it
>
> that is all fine but given that you don't know when a service is ready
> to accept connections and the whole world don't turn around systemd it
> is a legit need to control ordering sometimes strictly

Well I don't see where the conflict is. Double-forking services should
probably just not return to the caller until they are ready to accept
connections. This is why you should design your service units for systemd to
not fork but start the process in foreground (most services have a cmdline
option for that since years). That is a clear signal for systemd that the
service is ready (other signals are the appearence of a PID file for forking
processes, but that is not recommended). Forking or double forking only gets
in the way for that and is a design from sysvinit days to actually speedup
boot (which you state should not be the priority, and I agree with that)
and/or decouple the console so the process does not become killed by the HUP
signal, or can setuid/setgid. If you don't want to trust some of those
security measures to systemd (or start-stop-daemon in openrc, or whatever)
then it is probably "your" task to ensure that the process is ready when the
parent returns to the caller after forking. This is something often done
"wrong" even for sysvinit - otherwise I cannot explain why we need "sleep 5"
or "while try-something; do sleep 1; done" in init scripts. And yes, I added
such fixes myself to init scripts in the past. And not needing it with
systemd has nothing to do with performance but with reliability, altough I
appreciate the performance benefit of it and it also looks much cleaner
without "hacks". This goes along with clever tricks of init script
maintainers who added "&" to the process spawning "to speed up things" which
I had to remove sometimes to get a much slower but at least reliable service
startup.

> boot performance is not the only important thing - better said on
> servers it don't matter that much given you don't boot the machine all
> day long - relieable boot in every context is much more important while
> claiming everybody does soemthing wrong and systemd is right with it's
> assumptions don't help much

You cannot simply say "boot performance is not important for servers". I
actually would easier accept "boot performance is not important for
desktops" because we have hibernate/suspend/sleep - desktops don't really
need to reboot except for updates.

With modern servers which offer UEFI boot, POST time can be reduced to
seconds when we had minutes sometimes in legacy BIOS. So, with the arrival
of such servers we also have the need for fast boots - because service
downtime can be a cost factor. In that regard, I cannot agree with you
although I think that your argument is true for some, maybe most, scenarios.

But let's also elaborate on "reliable boot": This is, what systemd actually
offers and even can guarantee, in a much better way traditional sysvinit
could ever do. It provides well defined targets telling me if a set of
services is up (sysvinit doesn't). It provides supervising, and it provides
socket activation with automatic blocking. For services designed to support
systemd (and I don't think that is such a big deal for most services), you
could even restart services without service interruption because socket
activation can guaratee uninterrupted (though delayed) service provision.
You may argue there are supervising managers like supervise, runit, etc. But
first most of them cannot use socket activation and thus do not give the
same guarantees, and if they do, they need to use the same or very similar
modifications to your service as they need to use for supporting systemd.
And after all one can still argue that using facilities like supervise is no
longer traditional sysvinit - so where's the point?

Noone claims that everyone is doing it wrong, neither that systemd is the
only one doing it right. Everything is fine with traditional sysvinit, with
its double-forking, early returns before a service is ready, unreliable
dependency startup (if something goes wrong it really goes wrong), more or
less random sleep commands to solve that very problem, artificial runlevels
to unreliably "ensure" a set of services running... Well, it is just not the
same quality of what systemd could do better (and in a different way, yes I
heard you, that can be a painful learning curve). And what stops you from
setting up a minimal systemd runlevel/target, and finally in the end start a
service unit which runs all your nifty sysvinit'ish initializations from a
traditional sysvinit script?

If run sysvinit-style servers for 15+ years now - and sysvinit startup _IS_
unreliable. Services sometimes randomly fail to start or dependent services
timeout for no obvious reason... Most times it was fixed by inserting sleeps
before or after service spawning, or inserting some unexpected dependencies
or moving services between different runlevels. This has ended with systemd.
If it works, it reliably works throughout the complete dependency chain or
at least can clearly tell me what went wrong through the journal without
mixing up error messages and console output of the boot process (which is a
PITA on headless systems anyways) or either distributing logs across various
different text log files or putting everything in one monolithic log file
without serious tools to filter and sort that stuff (c'mon, grep, really?).
And it also clearly knows when and why a service died while sysvinit often
happily announced it still running and even refused to restart it because
the PID file was still there (PID files are broken by design anyways).
Sorry, I cannot accept that as "reliable". It even is not reliable if you
follow the rule "if it works never touch it". BTW: You need security updates
one time or another.

I can agree, however, with the fact that systemd is the only init system
currently offering those features and that this is taking away freedom of
choice in a way. But every service that is systemd compliant is still able
to run without systemd, from traditional sysvinit - at least I yet didn't
see anything that wouldn't. Integrating dbus, udev, or other things (and
also the vice-versa: integrating systemd as runtime dependency into other
ecosystems like Gnome) should clearly not become subject of this discussion,
that's a whole different point.

But on the other hand, I think it is not that bad having systemd around and
its "wide acceptance": For (probably) the first time in a long row of years
Linux sees some reliable, consistent API between different distributions (I
think its diversity is equally one of its greatest strengths and at the same
time its biggest opponent). But this "milestone" now is IMHO a good thing
because developers can concentrate on creating great tools building on it
("it" being the API, I clearly don't want to say "systemd" here) instead of
solving always the same problems over and over again. And let's just say:
Why should systemd take the sole role of implementing this API? I think
other, yet to come, init systems could also implement it. The design behind
systemd and its API is not that bad, I'm sure you could agree with it. If it
has to be systemd or an alternate implementation in the end, that's a matter
of taste.

We wouldn't be here if new technology had always been rejected. We are here
because new technology was adopted, by different people, in different ways,
and most successfully with common standards, in the last 150 years and even
beyond.

I don't want to get out of scope here. But I think the problem is that
humans naturally refuse to accept change. Even more if they weren't asked.
And I can agree with that: it can feel that systemd was forced on us. But I
cannot count myself to those people because I eagerly wanted to try this
technology and it worked for me, and with Gentoo I still had choice to use
openrc. I remember when dbus "was forced on us", I hated it because the
migration in my DE didn't work well for me. Nothing seemed to work reliably
for a long time. But now it's everywhere and integral part of every distro.
Similar to udev though I never had a problem with it - but in the end it
looked very useful to me although I had some hickups with device naming etc.

The point is: Let's just find out why the "intuitive" way to solve the OPs
problem doesn't work out and find the right solution. Let's face it: Trying
to use targets as sysvinit runlevels equivalent is obviously not the working
way although it looks promising and intuitive at first (I'd probably tried
the same first). That kind of problem (in a common sense) is something one
will face over and over again, unrelated to systemd. What is so special, so
different, when it's related to systemd?

--
Replies to list only preferred.