[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:19:48 PDT 2015

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> schrieb:

> with foreground you have *no control at all* becasue systemd fires up
> the next service immediately, frankly systemd even don't know the
> startup time of "Type=simple" services, hence they are missing in
> "systemd-anlyze blame"

I wonder what's suitable for smbd/nmbd... My distribution ships it with
default Type=forking and starts those services in daemon mode. But the man
page tells that the suitable start mode for supervising init systems is
starting the service in foreground mode.

Since your explanation makes sense, I wonder why there is that
recommendation in the man page. In a systemd world my distribution default
would actually be the right thing to do.

But then again, in openrc those services had a manual sleep to allow the
services to become ready before another service may use it. This means, also
smbd/nmbd are services which fork and return to the caller before they are
really ready to serve requests. That makes me guess that probably many
services out there are just wrongly designed.

--
Replies to list only preferred.