[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] Makefile.am src/shared src/timedate

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Mar 24 07:32:31 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 07:04:11AM -0700, Kay Sievers wrote:
>>  Makefile.am                |    2
>>  src/shared/time-dst.c      |  329 ---------------------------------------------
>>  src/shared/time-dst.h      |   26 ---
>>  src/timedate/timedatectl.c |   56 -------
>>  4 files changed, 413 deletions(-)
>>
>> New commits:
>> commit 16c6ea29348ddac73998f339166f863bee0dfef6
>> Author: Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org>
>> Date:   Tue Mar 24 13:52:04 2015 +0100
>>
>>     timedate: remove daylight saving time handling and tzfile parser
>>
>>     We planned to support (the conceptually broken) daylight saving
>>     time/local time features in the kernel, SCSI, networking, FAT
>>     filesystem, but it turned out to be a race we cannot win and do
>>     not want to get involved. Systemd should not fiddle with daylight
>>     saving time or parse timezone information itself.
>>
>>     Leave everything to glibc or tools like date(1) and do not make any
>>     promises or raise expectations that systemd should handle anything
>>     like this.
>
> That just doesn't make sense. This was *extremely* useful functionality.

Sure, it was useful, it was still not the right place to solve it.
With the decision not to support any DST stuff in systemd itself, DST
parsing did not belong here. Maybe in date(1) or any other tool.

Systemd's job is not to cover exotic features missing in other tools.
It was removed to stop misguiding people that systemd should to
provide any of these things on the bus or in its APIs, just because it
could provide it. In the longer-term this would just end up in a
half-baked mess, which we need to make sure will not happen.

Thanks,
Kay