[systemd-devel] Providing DNS for DHCPServer configuration

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:44:30 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm using the DHCPServer option within systemd-networkd along with
hostapd to provide a basic wireless access point on an embedded
system.  When my client systems connect, they make a DHCP request that
includes a parameter request for a Domain Name Server (option
6)---standard fare I think.  The DHCPAck/DHCPOffer from
systemd-network doesn't provide a response to this part of the request
so the client needs to manually configure a DNS server.  I created a
rudimentary patch (attached) that uses the access point IP as the DNS
server---seems to work okay for my particular use case though I
recognize this is *far* from generic.

Is there 1. a different/better way of doing this and, 2. if not, is
such a feature desirable for systemd-networkd/what might a good
implementation look like?

Thanks for any inights!
--Ash